Burning Herbs & Resins – Charcoal Method
Burning Loose Herbs and Resins
What You Need
Matches, lighter, or stove (gas or electric)
Playground sand (optional)
Incense powder, loose herbs or resin
- If using sand or salt, pour an inch or so in the bowl or burner.
- Grasp the charcoal with the tongs and hold over a flame source to light the edges. Continue until it begins to glow around the edges. If using an electric stove, place the charcoal directly on the burner. When you see the glow, use metal tongs to flip and heat the other side.
- Place the charcoal in the bowl or burner, concave side up, and let it sit for 2-5 minutes, until it glows red with heat and the surface is covered with white ash.
- Sprinkle a small amount of herb or resin on the top of the charcoal. It will immediately start to burn. You may add more as the smoke thins.
- Charcoal will remain hot for up to 60 minutes. Do not discard for at least 2 hours to allow proper cooling time. If you must extinguish quickly, you can use tongs to submerge the charcoal in water.
- WARNINGS: Risk of injury or fire. To be performed or supervised by an adult. Do not place near curtains. Keep away from children and pets. Keep smoke away from birds.