What You Need
1 envelope active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (105ºF to 115ºF)
5 cups flour
3 tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
3/4 cup shortening
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups buttermilk
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. Set aside until it blooms.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut the shortening into a mixture until it resembles a coarse meal.
- Combine baking soda, buttermilk and yeast mixture, add to flour mix, stir well.
- Cover with a towel and refrigerate for 8 hours.
- Prepare a cutting board with flour.
- Knead dough 12 times.
- With a rolling pin, roll out to 1/2 inch.
- Use a glass or cookie cutter to cut into 2-inch rounds.
- Place on greased sheets and let rise in a warm spot for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Bake until golden brown (about 15 min).