Chocolate Spice Yule CakeCuisine: Dessert, SweetsDifficulty: Easy
What You Need
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup natural cocoa powder (not dutch processed)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick-room temperature)
1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
2 tsp vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
1 cup milk (preferably whole milk)
3 large eggs
1 cup hot coffee (or hot water)
3 cups confectioner’s sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp allspice
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
4 tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a bundt pan.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice and cloves. Whisk well and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the oil, vanilla, milk and eggs. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the room temp butter, the brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Beat on medium for about two minutes.
- Alternately add in your dry and liquid ingredients. First add 1/3 of the flour mixture and add into the butter and sugar mixture. Beat on low/medium just until combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Add in 1/2 the liquid ingredients (minus the coffee) and beat on medium just until combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Add the second 1/3 of the flour mixture, mix, then the second 1/2 of the liquid mixture and mix just until combined. Now add in the last third of the flour mixture and beat just until combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl after each.
- Add in the hot coffee and mix, but do not over mix. Scrape the sides of the bowl and mix for just a few more seconds.
- Pour into the prepared bundt pan and bake at 325 degrees for approximately 55-60 minutes.
- Set on a wire rack to cool for about 15 minutes, then turn out onto a cake plate to cool completely.
- Add glaze to the top of the cake once the cake has cooled completely.
- Add powdered sugar, cinnamon, and allspice to a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a saucepan, butter, unsweetened cocoa powder, and milk. Bring the mixture to a boil and stir well with a whisk. Is is expected that the mixture may not be smooth and the butter may separate a bit.
- Pour the mixture over the dry ingredients.
- Add in the vanilla extract and mix well with an electric mixer.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let it cool down for about 10-15 minutes.
- Spoon onto cooled cake. The glaze will firm up as it cools.
- If eaten within about 4 days this cake does not need to be refrigerated. After that place it into the refrigerator to keep it fresh longer.
- If you do not have a bundt pan you can use: 10×2 inch round pan, 9×2 inch square pan, 10×2 inch square pan, 11×7 inch pan, 10×15 inch jelly roll pan, 12×17 inch jelly roll pan