Loaded Potato SoupDifficulty: Easy
What You Need
4 cups chicken stock
4 cups milk
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup flour
3 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 large baking potatoes, peeled and finely diced
1 teaspoon of salt
1 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup green onions
4 slices of crumbled, cooked bacon
- Heat chicken stock and milk in a large saucepan over medium-high heat to near boiling (do not boil as milk will scorch.) Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large soup pot, melt butter over low heat.
- Add flour, stirring constantly for 3 minutes to cook flour and make a roux.
- Gradually add milk mixture to roux, pouring in a slow steady stream while stirring vigorously to blend and eliminate lumps.
- Add bay leaves, pepper, diced potato, and salt.
- Continue to simmer over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and soup thickens.
- Lightly mash potatoes in soup, and stir to blend well.
- Preheat oven to 350 (optional).
- Pour soup into ovenproof soup crocks and top with sour cream, cheddar cheese, green onion, and bacon bits.
- Place in the oven to melt cheese (optional).