Imbolc Seed CakeDifficulty: Moderate
What You Need
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup extra fine sugar
4 large eggs
1 1/3 cup self-rising flour, sifted
4-6 tbsp milk
2 tbsp brown sugar
4 tsp caraway seeds
3 tbsp brandy
1/2 tsp ground mace
1/2 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
- With all of your ingredients in front of you, pause and bring into your family and friends your mind, think of the small personal things that you would have them benefit from as Spring flows into their lives. As you make this bread, visualize light flowing into the mixture, fire of truth and illumination, if you wish, compose a rhyme to say as you mix.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F. Grease and line 4 small springform pans or one 9″ springform pan.
- Beat the eggs in a medium-sized bowl.
- In another larger bowl cream the butter and sugar together until the mixture is pale and fluffy.
- Gradually whisk in the beaten eggs a little at a time.
- When all the egg, sugar, and butter has been mixed, stir in the caraway seeds, ground mace and fresh ground nutmeg.
- Lightly fold in the flour.
- Stir in patience for the coming Spring, this is still a time of waiting.
- Add the brandy, stirring it in.
- Add just enough milk to loosen the mixture and give the cake batter a good ‘dropping’ consistency.
- Pour into cake pans and bake for 30-40 minutes for 4 small pans or 40-50 minutes for 9″ pan, or until a metal skewer comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool further.
- You may also use a loaf pan and bake for 55-65 minutes.